As National Nutrition Month comes to a close, we have one last thought we want to leave you with: food first.
We want our food to take us as far along the path to a healthy lifestyle as possible. While supplements and pills can provide healthy micronutrients, there are always foods that provide them in greater abundance. Choosing to eat rather than supplement creates happier and healthier bodies. Below are a few food options to try first before supplementing those coveted vitamins and minerals.
- Omega-3 → Fish, walnuts, avocados
- Vitamin C (Emergen-C) → Oranges, strawberries, mangoes
- Vitamin D → Fortified cereals, milk, egg yolk
- Vitamin B12 → Meats, fish, cheese
- Calcium → Almonds, broccoli, tofu
- Iron → Spinach, beans, red meat
- Probiotics → Yogurt, kefir, kombucha
We encourage you to take advantage of these nutritious foods to meet your micronutrient needs. Let your food take you further!
Do you utilize any fun food choices to help minimize your need for supplementation?
Wishing a fabulous weekend filled with a variety of tasty foods and nutrients!
**Blog Post Written by: Madison Smith (Dietetic Intern)**
-Ricci-Lee Hotz, MS, RDN
A Taste of Health, LLC
Denver’s Dancing Dietitian
“Improving quality of life one bite at a time”