Welcome to week 3 of our Healthy Holidays Blog series where we are helping you stay on track with your health while still enjoying your favorite holiday treats this holiday season!
In week 2 we discussed tips for dealing with leftover Halloween candy and office candy drawers without having a month of sugar overdosing after Halloween.
Now that we are full swing into the holiday season and the office and other social potlucks are happening more and more frequently, for week 3 we are going to discuss tips to enjoy all your favorite options available at a potluck without over doing it!
- If a small plate is available, use it! Filling up a small plate will allow you to feel like you are eating a lot of food while still moderating your portion sizes.
- Let yourself have a taste of everything you want to try! Instead of taking a full portion of each item allow yourself to take enough to just have a taste of everything and have it only make up the equivalent of one portion.
- Do your best to balance out your food groups. Even when taking multiple items, make sure you choose foods from a variety of food groups rather than over doing just the carbs or just the protein or fat.
- Prepare something you know you like and will keep you on track. If finding something to eat at a potluck is your stressor prepare something that you find healthy and enjoy!
- Pack a separate lunch! If it is too struggle to moderate yourself at a potluck bring your own lunch/dinner and if anyone asks just say you are doing what you feel is best for your health!
Are there any tricks you use to stay on track when faced with the inevitable holiday potlucks? I would love to hear your ideas!
Check back next week for our week 4 topic: Holiday stressors- how to prevent stress eating during the holiday season
Wishing you a happy, healthy, and tasty holiday season!
-Ricci-Lee Hotz, MS, RDN
Denver’s Dancing Dietitian
A Taste of Health, LLC
“Improving Quality of life one bite at a time”